Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Wedding Dress

First, a pretty dress:


(click image for info on the dress from jcrew.com)

JewishGuy keeps asking me why I don't want to have a regular wedding gown.  Like the poofy ones you see in the catalogues for the bridal shops.  Why, when I see a pretty white dress that isn't necessarily or even at all a wedding gown, I think (and say out loud), that would be pretty to wear as my wedding dress!

This is how it goes,

Me: Ooh! That is really pretty.  Really pretty.  I bet it would be really pretty as a wedding dress.
JewishGuy: Why don't you want a regular wedding gown?
Me: Because I don't want to look like a poofball.
JewishGuy: But [so-and-so] didn't look like a poofball.

To which I have no response, I guess.  Other than, [so-and-so] is much taller than me, has a much different body shape, and looks better in big white dresses!

Here is the bottom line for what I want to wear on my wedding day:
  1. I want it to be white.
  2. I want to be comfortable in it the entire time.  I want to be comfortable walking down the aisle, I want to be comfortable standing under the chuppah, and I want to be comfortable not only sitting at the table but also dancing.  I don't want to be fidgeting the whole time, pulling it up here or down there or holding up the skirt so I don't trip.  I don't want it to be heavy and weighed down by lace and shiny things and whatever.  I want it to fit, I want it to be light, I don't want to think about it, I just want to be comfortable.
  3. I don't want to feel exposed.  I don't want to feel like people are staring at my boobs, or that my top is going to fall down.  I don't want to feel like I'm dressed provocatively, I don't want to feel like at any minute something is going to pop out.
  4. I don't want it to be over-the-top.  That is not the kind of person I am.  Maybe someone who looks exactly like me could feel absolutely comfortable and feel fantastically beautiful in a dress with a massive poof that makes them look like a dollop of whipped cream with a human head and a train so long it takes four people to carry it and a million pins and folds to keep it off the ground later, but I won't.  And even if you think I'm exaggerating, and even if I am exaggerating, I don't even think that I would feel comfortable in many of the more simple wedding gowns I see on the many, many bridal websites I have been looking at.
  5. I don't want to feel like I was pushed into wearing something that fits the ideals of someone else, because this is my dress!  If there's anything I'm allowed to be a bridezilla about, it's my dress!
Before anyone says anything, obviously I am going to go try on a bunch of dresses before I discount the idea completely.  And I am only putting this in bold just in case anyone is scanning this entry and not reading the whole tantrum (LOL) and wants to tell me to try things on before I discount them.  But I can tell you right now, while I think many brides look beautiful in their gowns, I don't much like the gowns for myself.

And what's wrong with that?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thasts so crazy.

i wanted to send u the link to that dress a couple weeks ago but passed since u wanted short dress hehehe

Anonymous said...

that was me vx

Anonymous said...

robin - this is funny; i dont think jewish guy knows this about me - but i refused to get a "wedding gown" for my own wedding....went with a friend to a department store that sold dresses to be dyed - and just kept the dress i bought white.

- now that im "wiser" - who cares what the gown is called if you like it!

Anonymous said...

I seem to be looking at anything BUT traditional wedding dresses! I want something soft and floaty and flowy and feminine. And I don't think a meringue will do that for me :-) I will be adding bell sleeves as I don't want to show my arms and it will be winter!!!