Thursday, March 27, 2008

Oh, the Drama!

The date is still a big deal, still up in the air, however I have voiced very strong opinions against the only dates available to me in the next 12 months. These dates are:

Dec 7: Pearl Harbor day. No. I asked a bunch of random people if they would get married on Pearl Harbor day and they all said no.

March 15: Why would I want to get married on a day made famous by Shakespeare "Beware the Ides of March!!!" ...No thank you. Not to mention the high probability of disgustingly rainy and cold weather that is typical of early/mid-March where we want to get married.

May 24: This is during the Omer, which is a period when Jews don't get married. JewishGuy tried to convince me that May 24 would be all right because, even though it's during the Omer, it's after Lag B'Omer (a day during the omer where people party and weddings are permitted), and also it is Rosh Chodesh (celebrating a new month), so it should be doubly okay. I was not convinced. He emailed a rabbi in the area who agreed with me, so, that ended that!

We can't go later in December due to potential weather complications (keeping guests from snowy climates - about 40% of the guest list - from coming). We can't go earlier in March for similar reasons. So our only choices are June 21 or later, or maaaaybe November 2.

Also, I don't want to get married on a day associated with death. Aside from the obvious reason, look at the other celebrations in my life that are coincidentally related to death:

  1. The day I was born was the 45th anniversary of Kristallnacht.
  2. My bat mitzvah was also on my birthday, so refer to #1.
  3. My bat mitzvah parsha was Chayye Sarah, where we talk about the death of Sarah.
  4. JewishGuy and I celebrate our anniversary of becoming a couple on the day that he came to visit me for the first time, which was unfortunately 2 days after my grandfather died.

Also, my astrological sign is Scorpio, the sign associated with death and transitions... if you want to into it in that direction.

Therefore, I want to break that cycle. I will refuse the salmon mousse!

No comments: