Thursday, June 19, 2008

Engagement Party Planning......?

Last week someone text messaged me and asked if I was free to hang out.  I said that I was out of town so unfortunately no.  They replied, "Okay, well, see you on Sunday!"

I said to myself, "what's Sunday?"

Um... the engagement party!

Yes, with all of the craziness of traveling to Israel, Chicago and Maryland, trying to decide on how to move to Chicago, apartment silliness, and other things, I had totally forgotten about our engagement party.  I had all these plans for fun decorations and crazy whoseemawhatsises.  But instead I find myself somewhat scrambling at the last minute.  Not really scrambling.  I am cool and collected like a seasoned event planner (I did do event planning for 2 1/2 years).

Today I went to the grocery store and picked out some wine and cookies.  I did get a babka because I like babkas, but I am going to try to keep this from looking like a standard Jewish community event, which is what I did for my job for 2 1/2 years.  You may see a recurring theme in my wedding planning - I don't want this thing to look like a similar thing I did for my job, or that thing to look like that event I did, etc.

Our party is going to be in the courtyard of our apartment complex.  It's really cute with a nice fountain and little tables with chairs and some small lights hidden in the bushes.  I'm planning on putting the food on one table and the wine and water on the other, with candles as the decorations.  I was going to make little candles but it looks like a lot of work and I'm kind of busy/lazy.  I'm also planning on making a little guestbook so people can leave us a good-bye note or something.  I don't know if I'll do that, JewishGuy made a remark about it, it might be a little cheesy to do that.

More on plans later, if there are more plans!

No comments: