Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Don't Worry, it will calm down

Today I was talking to someone who is recently engaged, as in, a few weeks ago.  Now she is getting the calls about setting a date.  I told her how within 24 hours of being engaged I was asked the date.  I told her how I was already crying about the wedding in 72 hours.

I have to say the first week of being engaged was probably the worst.  Picking the date was the hardest thing I've been involved in regarding wedding planning so far.  Either it was too far away, too soon, on someone else's wedding date, on an anniversary of death (family, national tragedy or poetic), or somehow inconvenient/difficult for important people to attend.  I considered asking to elope.  I don't know how that works for people who want to be married Jewishly.  I guess we could just find some rabbi here and two witnesses and print a ketubah off of the internet.

I'm glad that week is over.  And now I find myself in the position of reassurance.  Eventually, people will either stop asking, or you will pick a date and it will be over.

1 comment:

Ms. 122 said...

mine wasn't so much the first week, as the first four months...it was like agony trying to figure out what we were doing. but now everything is going really smoothly...so far. :)